Winter Fuel Allowance

How Do I Get The Winter Fuel Allowance

If you were born on or before 5 August 1953 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills.  This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’. 

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you’re eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you are eligible but don’t get paid automatically,  you’ll need to make a claim.

You have until the end of March to claim for your winter payment. 

Most payments are made automatically between November and December.  You should get your money by mid January.

If the money isn’t paid into your account before then, call the office that pays your benefits - their details are on any letters they sent you.

Any money you get won’t affect your other benefits, including the Warm Home Discount.